Assistant Vice President, Accounting Policy
Client is a mid-size Life & Annuity carrier backed by an investment fund. They are a fast-growing and established company, led by a CEO and a team with extensive experience in private equity, insurance, investment banking, and the Big 4. The company is well-respected in the life & annuity space and focuses on providing risk management solutions for insurance carriers looking to transition in force life and annuity blocks of business. While they do write some live risk, the majority of their business involves buying in force blocks of business.
The Assistant Vice President (AVP) - Accounting Policy is a newly established role that will support the ongoing growth of the organization and navigate increased complexity during the finance function transformation. The AVP - Accounting Policy will be responsible for technical accounting research, offering insights into the interpretation and application of existing and impending accounting guidance. This leadership position involves overseeing compliance with accounting standards, addressing queries, guiding new transactions and projects, and integrating emerging accounting standards. The AVP - Accounting Policy will also contribute to the preparation and evaluation of US GAAP and Statutory financial statements and ensure compliance with internal controls mandated by Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Plan, conduct, manage, and coordinate research on technical accounting issues related to complex transactions, new business initiatives, acquisitions, and contracts.
- Collaborate with entity and divisional controllers and various finance departments to provide accounting expertise for financial integrity.
- Lead the evaluation and implementation of new accounting pronouncements under US GAAP and Statutory accounting.
- Stay updated on emerging technical accounting and regulatory developments, providing interpretation to assess financial and operational impacts.
- Represent the company at industry meetings, including the American Council of Life Insurers (ACLI) accounting committee.
- Support the financial reporting team with quarterly and annual financial statements and filings.
- Assist with the preparation and review of quarterly and annual financial reporting for US GAAP financial reports.
- Support the year-end audit process, collaborating effectively with internal and external auditors.
- Provide training to management and staff on technical accounting policies and relevant topics.
- 7-10+ years of progressive accounting experience; 3+ years in a technical accounting role preferred.
- Experience in Big 4 public accounting or a combination of public and private experience.
- Expertise in Life Insurance and Reinsurance accounting is required.
- Subject matter expert in US GAAP and Statutory technical accounting, including experience with relevant ASCs and SSAPs.
- Proactive self-starter with the ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Strong advisory and consultative skills with a service mindset.
- Experience implementing accounting standards and special projects is a plus.
- CPA designation required; Bachelor's degree in Accounting required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite; experience with other accounting software a plus.