The Controls Engineer position is responsible for supporting and advancing the controls systems in a plant. This role involves troubleshooting manufacturing issues, optimizing system performance, and collecting and analyzing plant data. The Controls Engineer collaborates with the engineering and operations teams to provide control system specifications for plant expansion projects.
- Perform tasks related to the maintenance of control and networking systems, including preventative, routine, and emergency maintenance.
- Advise on the selection of plant equipment and controls needs.
- Oversee external controls vendors, ensuring clear work requirements and delivery.
- Design, code, test, and debug complex programs, and modify existing programming to optimize plant processes.
- Develop easy-to-understand graphics and process diagrams for HMI development.
- Establish standards for control systems reliability, including maintenance plans for aging or problematic PLCs and related equipment.
- Manage, maintain, and document controls cabinets properly.
- Ensure efficient controls network communications, working with IT network engineers to minimize performance or security issues.
- Collaborate with IT to address security risks.
- Maintain necessary spare parts for control systems to reduce downtime risk.
- Ensure proper licensing and support of controls software and hardware.
· Preferably a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related controls or automation technical degree, or equivalent work experience.
· At least 3 years of experience in controls engineering in a food processing plant, beverage processing plant, or dairy processing.
· Experience with Allen Bradley PLCs, related components, and Logix programming.
· Experience with various HMI development tools including Factory Talk View, Aveva InTouch, and related systems (tag/data servers, historians, etc).
· In-depth knowledge of automation technologies, control system design, and troubleshooting methodologies.
· Strong project management skills with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for effective collaboration with internal teams and external resources