Job Title: Controls Engineer
Location: Jerome, Idaho
The Controls Engineer is responsible for supporting and advancing plant controls systems. This role provides operational support of our controls systems including troubleshooting manufacturing issues, optimizing system performance, and driving plant data collection and analysis. This role works closely with our engineering and operations teams to provide control system related specifications for plant expansion projects.
- Perform duties related to preventative, routine, and emergency maintenance of the control/networking systems.
- Recommend the selection of plant equipment and related controls needs.
- Provide oversight of external controls vendors, including ensuring work requirements are clearly defined and appropriately delivered.
- Design, code, test, and debug moderate to complex programs, and modify existing programming to keep plant processes running effectively.
- Provide HMI development using easy to understand graphics and process diagrams.
- Drive standards to ensure reliability of control systems including developing a maintenance replacement plan for aging or problematic PLCs and related equipment.
- Ensure controls cabinets are properly managed, maintained, and documented.
- Oversee the controls network communications requirements working closely with IT network engineers to minimize network performance or security related problems or risks.
- Work closely with IT to promote practices that address appropriate security risks.
- Ensure necessary controls systems spare parts are maintained to reduce extended downtime risk.
- Maintain the proper licensing and support of controls software and hardware.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering preferred or a related controls or automation technical degree along with equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in controls engineering working in a food processing plant, beverage processing plant or dairy processing.
- Experience working with Allen Bradley PLCs, related components, and Logix programming.
- Experience working with various HMI development tools including Factory Talk View, Aveva InTouch and all related systems (tag/data servers, historians, etc)
- In-depth knowledge of automation technologies, control system design, and troubleshooting methodologies.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.