The Controls Engineer is responsible for supporting and advancing plant controls systems. This role provides operational support of our controls systems including troubleshooting manufacturing issues, optimizing system performance, and driving plant data collection and analysis. This role works closely with our engineering and operations teams for all Wisconsin plants to provide control system related specifications for plant expansion projects.
- Perform tasks related to the maintenance of control and networking systems, including preventive, routine, and emergency maintenance.
- Advise on the selection of plant equipment and controls requirements.
- Oversee external controls vendors, ensuring clear work requirements and timely delivery.
- Design, code, test, and debug programs to keep plant processes running effectively.
- Create easy-to-understand graphics and process diagrams for HMI development.
- Establish and maintain control system standards and develop a maintenance replacement plan for aging or problematic equipment.
- Manage controls cabinets and ensure proper documentation and maintenance.
- Collaborate with IT network engineers to address controls network communication requirements and minimize performance or security issues.
- Promote practices for appropriate security measures in collaboration with IT.
- Ensure availability of spare parts for controls systems to reduce downtime risk.
- Maintain licenses and support for controls software and hardware.
· Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering preferred or a related controls or automation technical degree along with equivalent work experience.
· Minimum of 3 years of experience in controls engineering working in a food processing plant, beverage processing plant or dairy processing.
· Experience working with Allen Bradley PLCs, related components, and Logix programming.
· Experience working with various HMI development tools including Factory Talk View, Aveva InTouch and all related systems (tag/data servers, historians, etc)
· In-depth knowledge of automation technologies, control system design, and troubleshooting methodologies.
· Strong project management skills with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for effective collaboration with internal teams and external resources