Breeding Colony Supervisor
Director of Breeding Colony
We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the role of Director of Breeding Colony. This position is responsible for leading our primate breeding program, which consists of 3,000 animals. The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the breeding colony, including the health and well-being of our primates, as well as contributing to the advancement of primate breeding research.
- Manage and lead multiple groups, such as the Manager of Breeding Colony, Veterinary behaviorists, nursery staff, physical and biological products, and husbandry for the breeding colony.
- Collaborate with veterinary staff, husbandry staff, behavior and enrichment staff, admin staff, facilities staff, and the business office to maintain the health and welfare of primates.
- Develop and implement breeding strategies and protocols to maintain and improve standards.
- Oversee the pairing of primates and monitor breeding behaviors.
- Supervise the selection and acquisition of breeding stock.
- Ensure proper nutrition and enrichment of primates in the breeding colony.
- Analyze and interpret data from health records related to breeding activities and animal care for decision-making purposes.
- Ensure compliance with regulations and protocols related to animal welfare and research.
- Oversee animal welfare, feeding, monitoring, record keeping, care, and day-to-day management of primates in the breeding colony.
- Ensure that all primates have access to proper feed and water, monitor their health, and oversee the weaning process.
- Schedule and assign tasks to meet production and quality goals.
- Supervise general maintenance of the facility.
- Maintain the highest level of animal health and welfare standards.
- Assess physical space for potential increase in the number of animals.
- Bachelor's degree in biology, animal science, a related field, or equivalent experience. Candidates with backgrounds in DVMs, Behavioral Specialists, Primatologists, and animal production management are encouraged to apply.
- At least 5 years of experience managing a breeding colony.
- Strong understanding of animal behavior and reproductive physiology.
- Proven ability to manage a team and develop effective breeding strategies.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Knowledge of regulations and standards related to animal welfare and research.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays, as required.
- Physical ability to lift and move heavy objects and work in outdoor conditions.
- AALAS Certifications of LAT, LATG, or CMAR preferred but not required.
Benefits and Appreciation:
- Company Paid Holidays
- Company health benefits for the employee, including medical and dental
- Options for additional benefits such as life insurance
- 401K, including Roth option and company matching
- 0% State Income Taxes
In summary, we are seeking an experienced Director of the Breeding Colony to lead our primate breeding program and ensure the production of quality animals. The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of animal behavior and reproductive physiology, be able to manage a team, and have excellent communication skills between different groups and factions of people. The candidate should have a comprehensive perspective, from bird’s eye to ground level, and be capable of analyzing from both macro and micro perspectives utilizing technology and available data. The candidate should also have knowledge of regulations and standards related to animal welfare and research and the willingness to work flexible hours. We offer a competitive salary, benefits, and an opportunity to make a significant impact on the development of life-saving therapeutics.