Job Title: Compounding Engineer
Location: Mesa, AZ Area
Compensation: Base Salary $80,000-$100,000 plus Bonus
Benefits: Comprehensive Insurance and Retirement Package
Relocation Assistance not available for this position
Position Summary: We are looking for a Process/Compound Engineer to join the team in the Innovation and Technology Center. As a Process Engineer you will be responsible for working hands-on with customers from different industries. Unlike a traditional process engineering position in a manufacturing facility that makes products within a certain family, a process engineer is constantly exposed to new customers, materials, and processes. The process engineer is engaged from initial customer contact through discussions related to test preparation and planning, executing the test, and writing the report. The typical cycle lasts 2-3 months from initial contact to report completion
- Minimum BS degree in engineering with Plastics Engineering, Material Science, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent preferred.
- 5+ yrs. experience in thermoplastic compounding in a production company, that supplies commercial volume products
- The right candidate will be able to work both independently and as part of a team, be a self-starter/quick learner with strong interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Experience in working effectively on a collaborative team environment
- Solid knowledge of engineering fundamentals and ability to apply this knowledge to manufacturing and product design.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, initiate, and drive projects to completion.
- Ability to think outside the box and develop novel products and equipment.
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally to customer, vendor location, trade shows, etc.
- Experience working with external suppliers, especially in the development of products, processes, specifications, and design/technology transfer
- Lead extrusion trials in support of customers and internal development work. Analyze test data and document results in test reports.
- Coordinate projects to ensure efficient production, timely delivery, and optimal operational performance. Serve as a technical liaison between the customer and Mitsubishi Chemical on targeted projects.
- Plan and execute twin screw lab trials for commercial customers from a wide range of industries and applications.
- Working closely with scientist and engineering, leading the execution of R&D compounding programs with technicians.
- Performing lab-scale and pilot-level compounding of new polymer / filler systems.
- Transitioning of new products into production by driving efficient scale-up of compounding processes.
- Performing polymer compounding, and processing trials, as needed, to achieve target mechanical properties on both R&D and Production lines.
- Oversee mechanical and analytical testing of the compounds to ensure quality levels are achieved and maintained.
- Specifying new equipment, develop procedures and troubleshoot equipment as needed.
- Collaborating with the technology team to develop next-generation thermoplastic structural compounds.
- Developing and carrying out mechanical testing on new products to characterize and document performance and establish specifications.
- Designing, executing, and analyzing experiments based on DOE approach and compiling findings.
- Developing, troubleshooting, and refining manufacturing processes, equipment, and assist in operator training on best practices.
- Make recommendations and specify new extrusion, auxiliary, and analytical equipment for the Extrusion Lab.